Monday, January 18, 2010

The global component translator

(maybe this exist - I haven't found it - maybe im to stupid to see it when I surf by it, but I need it).
A 7805 - A standard 5 volt current regulator commonly known as 7805 is called I think exactly everything else if you look for it.
L7508C, L7508CV, LM78M05, LM314, LP38691 and the list go on. To know that they all can do the job in a simple setup except the one that I also could use in an atom-clock, that is the question. Right there is a complete stop for the uninitiated. A normal scenario is that I find the recipe, at long last, and start looking for the components - only to realize that one of the e.g. chips went out of production 1987 (I might be able to get an ex. from Timbukto for xxx $), but the project is dead in the water - because I don't know that a alternative chip do exist and is called something completely different - Even if I suspect there is an alternative I'll need luck locating that information. My guess is that this is one of the reasons for why it feels completely impossible to begin with electronics. Some have electronics as a hobby - That building electronics is THE thing - not building something you need but just building it. Maybe they started with some of kits for sale out there eg.
- Police siren,
"Enter the world of amazing electronic sounds and noises. Create or imitate sirens of all kinds by adjusting 3 trimmers. Powerful sound with a 2W amplifier on the PCB" ((Level 1) even for idiots like me).
I can build:
UNIVERSAL START/STOP TIMER, WINDSHIELD WIPER ROBOT OR INTERVAL TIMER, DUAL ELECTRONIC DICE, PINK NOISE GENERATOR (all taken from Velleman). I am a bit unfair, there is some kits that can used for something usefull (ADVERTISEMENT LED DISPLAY WITH GREEN LEDS kit: "..Hello I am a man in need of a life..Hello I am...").
But a
s soon as I try to think a little myself - I am lost in the wilderness of electronics. That would be sort of okay if it wasn't for the facts that we are totally emerged in electronics, building our life on stuff we (we the majority) don't understand and can't fix. We (the stupid majority) are like kids walking around with machines we regard as small magic boxes that just works (look at this classic video). And it would be kind of funny if it wasn't such a tragedy.. And btw the exact same thing is the case with our relationship to energy (3 years ago I hadn't a clue. I was living happily in oblivion - then I ate that stupid apple (handed to me by a woman) and now I am raving in the streets and cant socialize..
When I understod how few basic electric components that make up the rest of the more complex components I was shocked - WAS THAT IT??? This is not funny, this is a conspiracy - marketing and geeks has succeeded in fooling me into believing electronics to be a great mystery, for years I thought them demigods - HAM geeks are the worst (you need a licenses to say hello). I get that those in the know gets very tired of stupid questions, but I say - help (us, me - the stupid), do it for you own sake - because we will burn down your house in anger the day the grid goes - exposing th
e false gods. The ravage has already started with the DIY/open hardware movement - It shines a light on what the basis is for electronic industry and there so-called consumer goods.

No comments:

Post a Comment