Sunday, January 17, 2010

The tech need on a sailboat

I am a sailor since 15 years and sailing has changed my view on technology. When I began sailing a new reality made it self present:
Everything on the boat I cant understand and repair is a liability. If I cant repair it myself, I bring 2 (or 3 in case of the GPS - its that important). Luckily most sailing gear (hardware) is mend to last and be repaired and with good documentation. Un-luckily most sailing gear it very expensive, but Ive learned to appreciate quality over the years of sailing - I have an old boat and I have repaired everything from the engine to the autopilot to the wiring to the hull it self. Its not long ago I changed from Windows to Linux on my boat PC. The PC is the main navigational unit on the boat and reliability is the no. 1 priority. The move to Linux (Ubuntu on a Fit-Pc) gave me just that. The move was made possible solely because of OpenCPN (open source navigation software for Linux and Win32). A big thanks to the OpenCPN team.

No comments:

Post a Comment